Confused about portion sizes?
It's not surprising! Take-away food, packaged supermarket food and restaurant meals have 'super-sized' over the last few decades, which makes it hard to know what the right amount of food to eat is.
To maintain a healthy weight or lose weight, you need to make sure you're eating not only the right type of food, but the right amount.
Portion Caution Tips
Need a coffee hit to get you going in the morning? Down-size to a small and save on calories.
Do you grab a handful of nuts for morning tea? This is a healthy habit, but check the portion! 30g is the "perfect" portion which equates to about 15 nuts.
Other foods throughout the day to show portion caution for are avocado and oils.Using 3 slices rather than 1/2 an avocado saves you over 150 calories. For oil, use 1 teaspoon per person.
A few more Portion Caution Tips:
- Meals - serve meals on smaller size plates
- Coffee - ask for small coffee
- Cereal - use measuring cups - aim for 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Cheese - aim for match-box size serve
- Meat - aim for palm size serve
- Fish - aim for whole hand size serve
- Rice/ pasta - fill no more than 1/4 of your plate